Social Security covers a lot of different parts of people’s lives. People can get Social Security benefits for retirement, disability, survivor benefits and more. Having the benefits that are provided by Social Security helps people have peace of mind about where a portion of their money is going to come from when there are times in life when money can be sparse. Although having the money can be a joyous occasion, applying and receiving your benefits can be a little confusing. The process of applying for Social Security benefits can make anyone feel overwhelmed. Lucky for people who need to apply for benefits, there are many lists and directions online and at the Social Security office that can point you in the right direction. Knowing which forms to fill out and what documents you will need in addition to the forms will help the process easier than ever.

There are many reasons people need to use Social Security to get benefits. With all of these reasons come an abundance of forms that need to be filled out. It can be difficult to navigate through all of these forms. There are specific forms for each situation. When you look online at the Social Security’s website, there will be a list of forms with the corresponding situation. There are also directions on how to fill out these forms. You can also call the Social Security Administration with any questions that you may have.

One of the reasons people contact the Social Security Administration is to get a new Social Security Card. If you need to do this, you will need to fill out the SS-5 forms for an Application for a Social Security Card. Another common reason that people need to get in touch with Social Security is to secure benefits for their disabled child. You will need to fill out the SSA-3280-BK Disability Report-Child form if you are in this situation. Other instances where people need Social Security forms come because people need retirement or health benefits for themselves. You should fill out the SSA-1 BK Application for Retirement Insurance Benefits if you need to need healthcare when you are retired. If you are a widow or a widower, you should fill out the SSA-10 Application for Widow’s or Widower’s Insurance Benefits. One of the last popular forms to fill out is the SSA-16-BK Application for Disability Insurance Benefits.

The list above shows just some of the most common forms that are filled out for Social Security reasons. You can look online or go to the Social Security office if you need other forms. You will also need additional documents to apply for benefits. Some of these documents may be used to see how much your benefits should be. Some of the forms that you may need include: birth certificate, proof of U.S. citizenship, W-2 forms or self-employment tax returns, a marriage certificate, and U.S. Military discharge papers. You can provide photocopies of tax forms and medical documents. You will need to provide original copies of other documents. You will get the forms back. You can get help from the Social Security Administration if you do not have specific documents.

Knowing which form to fill out and what documents you need to provide will help getting your benefits from Social Security benefits much easier than ever thought. Being organized and having everything ready before you even begin the application process will be beneficial to you, and you will get your benefits sooner rather than later.